Mass. prosecutors urge judge to keep cross-country rape suspect locked up before trial
Massachusetts prosecutors on Monday asked a judge to keep a cross-country rape suspect locked up before trial, stressing that he could be a danger to the public.
Gregory Lewis, 26, was captured by police last month in New York for allegedly raping a minor and thrashing of his stepfather. Police allege that Lewis, of Southbridge, robbed and raped female escorts in Colorado, Indiana, Missouri, Utah, Oregon and North Carolina.
He was charged with a total of seventeen counts stemming from the alleged rape of the 13-year-old girl and the thrashing of his stepfather. However, he pleaded not guilty to any of those charges.
During questioning by Southbridge police, the suspect claimed that he met the girl after she prank called him with her friends in June. He also turned down the accusation that he raped the minor.
During a court hearing yesterday, prosecutor Courtney Sans urged Judge Janet Kenton-Walker to continue to hold Lewis without bail because he was big danger to the community. The prosecutor said the suspect told many people that he would kill his 13-year-old accuser.
Lewis' attorney, Michael Hussey, argued during the hearing that his client could not be labeled as dangerous because doing so would deprive him of his lawful right to be presumed innocent.
Judge Kenton-Walker, however, didn't immediately rule. She said she would rule within the next day or so.
Frank Edelblut, a businessman who has no...Read More
Doubling down on President Donald Trump’s baseless...Read More
U. S. President Donald Trump reportedly insisted...Read More
A bill designed to make it easier for New Hampshire...Read More
New Hampshire legislators are mulling a package of...Read More
A team of detectives from Massachusetts State...Read More