Prince died from accidental overdose of opioid fentanyl, toxicology tests conclude

According to a report on Prince’s death by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, toxicology tests have concluded that the entertainer lost his life due to an accidental overdose of the fentanyl opioid.

Doctors generally prescribe fentanyl for cancer treatment, and it can be prepared illicitly. In the United States, it is accountable for a spike in overdose deaths. As per the US Drug Enforcement Administration, it is 25 to 50 times more potent in comparison to heroin and 50 to 100 times more potent as compared to morphine.

Prince Rogers Nelson, full name of Prince, died on April 21 after he was found unconscious in an elevator at Paisley Park. Home and recording studio of Prince is in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

The medical examiner office’s report was released on Twitter, but it didn’t contain much information. The report said that the decedent self-administered fentanyl, which caused the injury.

The report didn’t give any details about the way of the drug consumption, and whether the fentanyl was prescribed or made illegally.

The report said that at the time of death, the music superstar weighed 112 pounds and was 63 inches tall. He was attired in a shirt, pants, boxer briefs, black cap, and socks and a gray undershirt. In the report, the entertainer’s occupation was listed as ‘artist’ and ‘music’ was mentioned as his business.

Since he died, information has emerged about the alleged abuse of prescription drugs by the entertainer.

In April, while speaking to CNN’s Evan Perez, a law enforcement source said that the entertainer was found with opioid medication when his dead body was found. Until now, investigators don’t have any clue that the entertainer possessed a legal prescription for the recovered opioid medications.

A report published in Scpr revealed, “The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate. According to a one-page report released by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, Prince administered the drug himself, but the date he took it was unknown. The office said it has completed its death investigation and had no further comment.”

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid, 50 times more potent than heroin, that’s partly responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths in some parts of the country. It also has legitimate medical uses. More than 700 fentanyl-related overdose deaths were reported to the Drug Enforcement Administration in late 2013 and 2014.

The findings confirm suspicions that opioids played a role in the musician’s death. After he died, authorities began reviewing whether an overdose was to blame and whether he had been prescribed drugs in the preceding weeks. Prince’s death came less than a week after his plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois, for medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert.

“Prescription opioid overdoses reached nearly 19,000 in 2014, the highest number on record. Total opioid overdoses surpassed 29,000 that year when combined with heroin, which some abusers switch to after becoming hooked on painkillers,” according to a news report published by Salon.

Autopsy results released Thursday show Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, but did not indicate whether the drug had been prescribed to him by a physician. The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate. Investigators have been reviewing whether Prince was prescribed drugs in the weeks before his death.

“This was a man in his 50s who may have been struggling with pain and took a very potent opioid analgesic and died accidentally from an overdose,” said Dr. Barbarajean Magnani, pathologist-in-chief at Tufts Medical Center who read a one-page autopsy report released Thursday. “Celebrities bring it to our attention, but we see this every day. We have to re-examine the way we’re treating pain.”

According to a story published on the topic by CBS LOCALlocal, “Music superstar Prince’s death from an opioid overdose is a stunning example of a national epidemic of overdose deaths driven by prescription opioid painkillers. Prescription opioid overdoses reached nearly 19,000 in 2014, the highest number on record. Total opioid overdoses surpassed 29,000 that year when combined with heroin, which some abusers switch to after becoming hooked on painkillers.”

A law-enforcement official told The Associated Press on Thursday that tests show the music superstar died of an opioid overdose. The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.

The official, who is close to the investigation, spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media. Investigators have been reviewing whether a doctor was prescribing Prince drugs in the weeks before his death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *